Thursday 11 September 2014

It's Bedtime, where's the Sandman?

Most often it's a walk in the park,
 then there are times you need a remedy of  harmony.
There are lots of times that he goes off to bed without a fuss.  More to the point is the fact that this mostly happens when his two older brothers are going too and he would then entice them into reading to him. With them not finishing their chores on time or having the need for extra time to complete homework, there are those nights when bedtime is not just painfully labour-some  for him but for me as well.

On this night he was particularly troublesome and getting into everyone's way.  A glance at the clock told me that it was 8'oclock.  Aaaaah, I pulled the huge rank card "Well, that's it.  You know it's actually 8'oclock - bedtime!"  He seemed to accept defeat with much chagrin.  Knowing how he was, I pulled him in close for a special hug and an extra special kiss followed by "say your prayers".  Off he went with the promise that they will be in soon. 

The other two sat on the sofa finishing up some reading.  Somehow I could discern a faint whisper coming from the room, he was calling out to them.   Eventually, one by one they disappeared to his rescue. 

It was quiet.  So quiet that by a little after 9, I called out to the oldest brother, convinced that sound sleep had overtaken his little brother and learned how mistaken I was.  The middle child who cannot stomach too much of a fuss followed closely behind and oh no, the night monster gave birth.  I really really believed that I was not going to have one of those nights.  The one where at first it's a wail, then a scream "somebody come stay with me", "is anybody there?" "can anyone hear me?" followed by pure catastrophe.   I'm still in shock my bubble busted and I'm holding off having a tantrum myself.  

Can a lady just have some quiet time, especially for the last hours of a public holiday, Labour Day no less.

Reluctantly I got up.  I went in.  And standing beside the bed I firmly said,  now please it's 9:30, you Should have been asleep since 8.  that's a whole hour and a half.  He begun to wail. Boy can he waaaaiiiil!  I want to wail too!

"No come on," I said, "it's either you don't get a long enough sleep and still have to wake up early in the morning or I don't wake up early enough in the morning because I'm sooo tired and you miss the school bus which will mean that you stay on the porch as I have things I must get done." He realized I meant business.  He settled into his pillow, pulled the cover sheet up around him some more, sniffed a little, snuggled some more and relinquished the reigns.  While going out, I made him aware that the light was still on and should there be any screaming at all, it would result in lights out!

Grrrr it may seem a tad harsh, but please let me tell you, a 24/7 solo parent must to stay sharp to keep the squad well lined up on deck.  As my mother and grandmother used to say "nobody coming to run circles round me, you didn't come to rule me!"  For sure, these boys have made me sweat.  Thankfully it's not too often and by the time I ROAR they certainly will forget they ever did. 

It still remains unimaginable that getting up at half-past six the very morning, to set out for a 2 hour walk at seven (7am) that this night would find this child still up without a nap at all during the day.  I take it then that for his body, it was a power walk.  I'm thrilled he has the endurance, yet with school the next day ... Ouch.

There are two ladies that bestow!upon him extra doses of sweetness as they see him often at school.  He turns to mush too whenever they are around and have the nerve to declare that he only feels particularly bashful when he's around them.  However, I've noticed a third, hmmm make that a fourth.  If only I can bottle "whatever" to ensure the taming of the wail at bedtime when the sandman has been delayed.

9:35 he's sound a sleep.  On to wrapping up with "the twins" as he calls them and lunch prep.  Grr grr grr

10:22 finished drafting this piece ...

10:50 The twins are set and off to bed.

Surely this holiday must be renamed Rest Day with fines to anyone for disturbing the peace. Surely goodness and mercy shall see to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment